Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Tiny People Die

I lived near a town full of lively prairie dogs. They would run and play with each other; they would hug, and groom their family and friends.


Today, I went down there for my usual walk, and there were no prairie dogs in sight. I thought it was normal, and that they were just sleeping or hibernating or something. But after a while walking along my favorite trail I saw that someone had written “RIP prairie dogs” out of sticks on the sidewalk. I got a little worried, so I went over to one of the holes.  It was filled up with dirt. I went to another one. It was the same: filled up with dirt. I looked around me. I noticed that there were little crosses and other places where these nice people had written stuff about the prairie dogs.   I realized that the Lakewood mayor or someone had arranged for them to be killed!  All of the precious little human-like rodents in this whole prairie dog city!!!
When I got back I got my mom to call the phone number of someone in the mayor’s office.  He had arranged for a company to kill all of the prairie dogs just because some people called to complain about holes in their backyard! He also said that some of the short grass prairie plants were getting killed. Then I heard information that this is going to happen again to a prairie dog town in Longmont!  

5 comments:

  1. Arwen, thank you so much for writing this - and for publishing the photos. You already know you are not alone in being sad about this and perhaps mad at the people responsible. Lots of people want prairie dogs to be gone because of even the slightest of inconveniences - as you say, a few holes in a backyard. This is how a lot of people deal with conflicts - or perceived conflicts - with wildlife: They simply kill the animals. But that gets harder and harder to do when people such as yourself speak out. You can be certain that many people share your thoughts and feelings - many, many people I know spend their lives defending prairie dogs. Some progress has been made, but at times it's one step forward, then two steps back. Eventually, our beloved prairie dogs - and the many who live with them or depend on them - will get the protections they need. Thank you so much, Arwen, for standing up and making your voice heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stopped by to take a few photos on Thursday and saw what was going on. I had brought along a few almonds for an old friend who allows me to take wonderful closeup pictures of him sitting on his burrow. After verifying what was going on with the exterminators, I walked down the road sick at heart. When I came back up after speaking with a park person, they had also killed my friend. RIP big pdog. I have no words left to beg and plead with city and county officials to save these precious lives, and believe me this one was personal.

      Delete
  2. Oh, Arwen, I am so terribly sad about this. Do you remember thinking about writing a novel about all of their intricate lives? Your essay is wonderful and maybe it will help to save other Prairie dogs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Arwen. I so enjoyed those prairie dogs during my visit this past July. I too am upset about the mindless slaughter of animals just because they inconvenienced someone or bothered their plants. We are all part of the interconnected web of life. As long as we act as if we are not, we remain disconnected from nature, our earth and its future. We should be smarter than this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was deeply saddened when I learned of their death after seeing those signs in the park. I loved them so much it was wonderful to observe how they lived, it made my bike rides and runs very special. They are the keystone species that needs to be protected. I am going to that council meeting this Monday to stand up for them and protect the remaining ones.

    ReplyDelete